Monday, November 25, 2013

"City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)" by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) "City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)" by Cassandra Clare


Website ~ Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook


Published: March 25, 2008
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Paranormal
Pages: 453
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
Read August 21 to 23, 2013


GoodReads ~ Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble



Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.
To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?
In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.


I was planning on waiting a little while to write this review. But I need to write it NOW!!! I have so much to get off of my chest.



I saw about a million comparisons between these books and the Harry Potter series. I decided to look over them. But after reading some reviews, I have to come to terms with the fact that this is a Harry Potter rip off. Here is everything that I couldn't stand about this book:

1. In HP, normal people are called Muggles, in TMI, they are called Mundanes.

2. Clary is Ginny. Yes, she is. Don't lie.

3. Jace is Draco. Yep, don't say anything else.

4. Jace and Clary are pining over each other. And they are SIBLINGS!!!! EWWWWWWWW

5. Clary just learned about this world, and she's already amazing at runes.

6. Alec feels totally uncomfortable admitting his feelings for Magnus. Just tell everyone. Get over it!

7. Clary treats Simon like crap. He's been her friend forever and she's like "OK, we can date" and then she ignores him. She's too busy being in love with her brother.

8. Jace totally believes everything Valentine says, even though Valentine's lies have so many holes.

9. How is Jace's dickhead-ness sexy and hot. I can't stand it.

10. Clary is pathetic.

11. Jace is willing to commit incest!

12. This series was supposed to be a trilogy. Now it has 6 books.

13. Jace's dickhead-ness is OK because he had a hard knock life. Shut up no one loves you!!

14. This entire series pretty much started out as HP fanfic. I don't like published fanfic.

15. Pretty much everything annoyed me.

I think these things will help you figure out how I feel about these characters.

Overall, this series is a trainwreck and it's been fun watching everything fall apart. As much as I cannot stand this author and this series. I think I'll end up reading the rest of the series. It's so funny and I can't take it seriously. I almost bought one of Clare's books at a bookstore before I started the series. I'm so happy that I didn't buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment