Friday, July 5, 2013

"The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)" by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)5 out of 5 stars

Read June 10 to 15, 2013

Pages: 363
Published: January 26, 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen


I was so excited to read a book with fairies and other creatures. I guess I just can't accept reality or something. Oh well. Fantasy is much better. I loved how the fey weren't all cutesy and sparkly like Tinkerbell. They were more bad-ass.




Yes, they were. I felt so bad for Meghan! She was pretty much ignored by her family and got picked on by the popular kids on her birthday! I felt so bad for her. I actually got emotional over what happened IN A BOOK! Is that pathetic? Please don't answer that.

The beginning wasn't super exciting. It was a lot of world building, but still interesting. It really picks up when Puck/Robbie (Meghan's best friend) gets all protective and they go to Nevernever to find Meghan's brother.

Meghan meets Ash, the prince of the Unseelie court, and Meghan finds out that she is the princess of the Seelie court. They have a forbidden love (of course). Meghan learns that Ash is so icy cold because his love was killed right before his eyes. This happened forever ago. I would have felt so awkward if I were Meghan. I mean, finding out that the guy you really like totally loved someone else and can't seem to get over it. And everyone says that girls are always hung up over their previous relationships. I would have been like, "Bro, get over it. She's dead. Stop crying." But I guess it's nice to see how Ash became so icy and why he's scared of his feelings for Meghan.

They eventually find Meghan's little brother. And right after she brings him home, Ash comes to take her to the Unseelie court, as she promised that he could take her there if he help her find Ethan. And it leaves of with the dreaded cliff hanger. UGGGHHHH!!!!


I feel like a lot of people are Team Ash, but I LOVE Puck! I just liked him a lot more than Ash. Sure Ash was afraid of his feelings for Meghan, but he didn't have to be a douche.

Meghan
She finds out that she's half-fey and the daughter of the king of the Seelie court. She learns this while in Nevernever to find her little brother, Ethan, since he was kidnapped. I really liked her. I also felt her emotions because if anything happened to my sister, I would do anything to get her back.

Robbie/Puck
Meghan's best friend who is actually Puck from a Midsummer's Night Dream by Shakespeare. He always likes to clown around and tease Meghan, but he becomes really protective of her. I loved him so much! I'm team Puck all the way!!!

Ash
The youngest prince of the Unseelie court. He has feelings for Meghan from the beginning, but refuses to let himself be hurt again, as a previous love was killed right in front of his eyes. He has his moments when he can be really sweet and protective of Meghan, but then he becomes a douche and pushes her away. I do love dark and mysterious guys, but I didn't love him all the time.


Overall, I loved this book. It as so cool how Ms. Kagawa put in the characters from Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night Dream. I haven't read it yet, but I was still able to understand the premise. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment